Servings: 4 servings
- 1 medium zucchini chopped in 1 inch long slices
- ¼ cauliflower (optional) cut into florets
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium green tomato (optional) chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp 1/4 tsp Asafetida
- 1 small onion or shallot sliced
- 4 cloves 4 garlic cloves chopped and rested for 10 min
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp gray salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 grind fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Chop the garlic and let it rest while you are chopping other vegetables. Cut the zucchini into half-inch-long pieces, cut the cauliflower into florets, chop the tomatoes and onion or shallot.
- Heat the oil and add cumin seeds and asafetida. Fry till cumin seeds are dark brown or roasted. (If you are on an oil-free diet, you can roast these dry). Add the onions and garlic and let the onion sweat for 2 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add the onions and garlic and let the onion sweat for 2 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. Add turmeric powder and let it roast for 1 minute. Add a grind of pepper to the turmeric as it is heating.
- Stir the vegetables with spices together and cover with a lid for 5 to 6 minutes till zucchini is slightly soft and the peel is a vibrant green.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
You may add or substitute any other vegetable of your choice.
This is a fast and easy side dish to prepare and tastes wonderful with lentil soup or Dal.