Dr. Kumar’s Golden Milk
- 1 cup of hemp or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of grated organic turmeric root
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 grind of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of crushed cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tsp of grated ginger
- 1 tsp of honey or maple syrup
- a pinch of cinnamon optional
- Boil all ingredients on low heat for 10 min until incorporated and the milk is fragrant with a deep yellow color.
- Strain and transfer to a mug and add honey or maple syrup. Add a pinch of cinnamon if you desire.
I use grated fresh turmeric root as it is less bitter when used in Golden milk and less likely to have contaminants than turmeric powder.
* The piperine (active ingredient) in black pepper increases curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) absorption by up to 2,000% in the human body as curcumin by itself is not well-absorbed by the body on its own.