Pecan Berry Pie (*Vegan* Gluten-Free)
Adapted from My New Roots by Sarah Britton Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or ghee for non-vegan version)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup barley maple syrup
- 1/8 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecans
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen fresh pitted cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Make the crust. Put the oats in a food processor and blend on the highest setting to create a rough flour. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, nutmeg and blend to combine. When the dough comes together, remove it from the food processor, gather it into a ball and put it in the center of a 9-inch tart pan or ceramic tart pan. Using wet hands, press the dough out to the edges and up the sides of the pan. Prick holes in the dough with a fork. Bake the crust for 10 to 15 min until golden. Remove it from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Make the filling: Put the first six ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth. Add 1 cup of the nuts and pulse to chop (do not fully blend them as you want a chunky filling). Fold in the berries into the filling.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Decorate with the remaining pecans and add a few more to create a star burst shape on the tart and bake for 30 to 40 min till bubbling and brown.
- Let the pie cool completely and serve.
It is delicious by itself and also with a small scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
This is a beautiful, antioxidant rich, not too sweet, and very easy pie to make for any occasion, and especially festive for your holiday table.
*As always, please make sure ALL of your ingredients are organic.