- 1 yam peeled and cubed
- 3 large collard leaves ribs removed and sliced into horizontal strips
- 1 medium shallot peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds Kalaongi – available at an Indian grocery store or online
- 1/4 tsp asafetida powder available at an Indian grocery store
- 1 tsp olive oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Heat oil/ghee in a frying pan.
- Add black cumin seeds and asafetida powder till sizzling for about 30 seconds, then add shallots and garlic and fry till they are translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add cubed yams. Stir till the oil is incorporated and coats the yams, then reduce to medium heat and place lid on the pan for 5 minutes.
- Lift the lid and stir so the yams don’t stick to the pan. You may need to add a splash of water and place the lid back on till yams are partly softened.
- Add the collard leaf strips to the yams. Stir to incorporate and add salt.
- When collard leaf strips soften, remove the lid and serve.