- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 8 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 inch of grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/8 cup lemon juice or 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2-3 cp cooked rice or roti Indian bread
- Optional ingredients:
- A splash of non-dairy milk if creamier consistency is desired
- 1 cp fried tofu or paneer pressed homemade cheese available at the Indian grocery store
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pot.
- Add cumin seed, turmeric, and black pepper. Once the cumin seeds sizzle and turn a darker color, add onions, ginger, and garlic.
- Fry until onions are translucent.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and cover the pot till spinach wilts, but is bright green.
- Pour the ingredients into a blender and add the juice of 1 lemon or 1/8 cup lemon juice to the blender. Cover the lid with a towel and hold it down. Blend till ingredients are incorporated first on low then gradually raising the speed to high.
- Pour back in the pot and let it come to a simmer. Keep the lid on the pot as the spinach will splatter.
- Optional: Add non-dairy milk, fried tofu, or paneer (pressed homemade cheese) and stir.
- Add more salt to taste.
- Serve with rice or roti (Indian bread).