- 1 can chickpeas
- Pulp of 1/4 to 1/3 medium-sized butternut squash or autumn harvest squash
- 4 medium cloves of garlic peeled and crushed and left to sit for 10 min
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp of tahini paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup of hot water
- 1 tsp powdered sumac
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Place cut side down on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet in a 375-degree oven for about 45 min or till soft. Take out of the oven, scoop pulp from 1/4 to 1/3 of the squash into a bowl and let it cool down till it is warm (not hot).
- Place the pulp in the blender with the rest of the ingredients except olive oil, water, and sumac in a high-speed blender and blend on high using the plunger to incorporate.
- Stream the olive oil gently until incorporated then add water till a smooth consistency is reached. You may need to add a little more than 1/4 cup for desired consistency if you want it a bit thinner.
- Once the hummus is smooth and spreadable, transfer it to a glass container. Sprinkle with powdered sumac and some extra paprika. Store in refrigerator for a week. Serve with vegetables or use as a spread on sandwiches or scoop into your salad for a side of protein.