Servings: 8-10 (2 cookies each)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup spelt or buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sesame seeds roasted (dry roast in pan)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds roasted
- 1 cup rolled oats lightly roasted
- 1 cup walnuts lightly roasted
- 1 cup millet
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp grated orange or lemon peel
- 1 tsp shelled cardamom seed
- water as needed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Blend the oil and honey together, then mix the remaining ingredients except for the water. Add water a little at a time until the mixture holds together. If the mixture gets too wet, add some more flour. Shape into balls, press down to flatten and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
modified from The Tassajara Bread Book
Revised and updated edition
Edward Espe Brown, 1970, Shambala
When I was a 4th year medical student doing rotations at UCSF, I would walk down Parnassus Avenue to the Tassajara Bakery for one of these cookies. They are hearty, nourishing and filling. They make a wonderful breakfast cookie and go well with a cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy!