Author Rose Kumar M.D.
- 2 cups of dry red lentils
- 5 cups water
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tsp cumin dry roasted till fragrant *
- 1 tsp coriander seed dry roasted till fragrant *
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp salt or 2 tsp of fish sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients except cilantro and apple cider vinegar in a saucepan and boil till lentils are soft.
- Add salt to taste. The vegan version would just use salt and no fish sauce.
- Add apple cider vinegar when lentils are soft.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
*Combine cumin and coriander seeds dry roast on the stove and grind in a mortar/pestle