Author Rose Kumar M.D.
- 1 cup of dry red lentils washed
- 4 cups water
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tsp cumin dry roasted till fragrant *
- 1 tsp coriander seed dry roasted till fragrant *
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp salt or 2 tsp of fish sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Wash the lentils with water a few times in a mesh sieve or a bowl and decant the water. Place all ingredients and 4 cups of water, except cilantro and apple cider vinegar in a saucepan and boil till lentils are soft.
- Add salt to taste. (For a vegan version would just use salt and no fish sauce).
- Add apple cider vinegar.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
*Combine cumin and coriander seeds dry roast on the stove and grind in a mortar/pestle